Skip to main content

Who said theatre isn't a contact sport?

So yesterday was a fun day! My cousin Nicklas got married to a wonderful girl named Sarah. I hadn't been to a wedding since his sister Keitha got married in 2006, and I didn't remember much, so all of my nuptial related knowledge came from the wedding scene in The Sound of Music (which I was in this summer). The entire family really enjoyed themselves.
Very romantic ♥
And furthermore, this was my first time to get to go out with all the single ladies for the bouquet toss, and lo and behold...
Look who caught the bouquet!
 I sent this picture to Adrian. He's skiing so he hasn't received it yet. ;)

Anywho. The purpose of today's post is regarding the myth that theatre is a nice, safe past time. Wrong! Theatre is an art that imitates life, and that art sometimes turns a little painful. It's something that happens all the way from children's theatre to Broadway and West End. Afterall, Idina Menzel was absent from her closing weekend in 'Wicked' due to a cracked rib she sustained after an accident going through a trap door. The production of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark' faced yet another obstacle when Natalie Mendoza, the actress portraying Arachne, was benched following a concussion.

After being in twelve productions over the past four years, I have also experienced my fair share pf stage injuries. Last summer I was in a production of Footloose with Broadway Academy of Performing. I played Ariel. At one point during the show, Ariel sneaks out of her house and has a confrontation with her ex-boyfriend, Chuck Cranston.
It's blurry, but this is me and my friend Sutton!

 In our production, he grabbed me by the arm and half flung/half pulled me into the wing. Well unfortunately during one of our last rehearsals he flung a little more than he carried and I careened into the church pews that had been stowed behind the curtain. The resulting bruise across my shin was very tender!
Ow.
In our currently play, there is a scene between Adrian(playing Jekyll and Hyde) and I where he draws my blood and I faint in his arms. He is then supposed to let me go so that he can try to kiss Jekyll's love interest, Rosamunda, played by the lovely Katy Moore. The great thing about the way it is blocked is that if he just let's go of my arms then I can control my fall and avoid injury. Unfortunately, during the last couple of runs he has gotten very into it and has thrown me, rather than just release me. This causes me to follow straight onto my right elbow, then onto my shoulder, finally bumping my head. I didn't think much of it, other than teasing Adrian about man handling me, until I woke up Friday morning with this beauty:
Observe my cuts and the forming bruise.
I'm not sure how the fall cut my elbow, but there you go. The mysterious theatre gods at work. By Friday evening it had also began to swell and bruise, as well as my shoulder. I consulted with my big sister (a Physical Therapy student) and she advised me to ice them both. So I did!
Uber attractive.
Thankfully the swelling went down and the bruising is ebbing. I'm just fine:)

What about you? Anyone have any fun(?) theatre injury stories to share?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to move in New York City without Losing your Freaking Mind

Hey everyone! As I mentioned in my last post, we got a new apartment! Now, some people hate moving. For them, it brings back feelings of sadness and leaving behind friends and family, but for me that's not the case. I've moved several times in my life. We relocated several times while I was growing up and while I was usually a little bummed about not seeing my friends anymore, the excitement at the prospect of the new, the unknown, almost always outweighed it. And when I moved into the dorms in August 2013, I couldn't have been more ecstatic. I was finally in college! I had literally been waiting my entire life for this very moment! And I was so lucky. My roommate, Emily, who I had been randomly assigned, ended up being a wonderful human being who I still consider a friend even though we're in different states. When she left WT, I lived with my soulmate, Maddie Todd, for a brief but amazing semester. Then I was finally relinquished from the dorms and Leilani and I

I Deserve Safe Streets

Saturday was a weird day for me. I was supposed to wake up early and hit the gym so I could get in my three miles for training. Instead, I managed to oversleep by TWO whole hours. Lately I've been having the hardest time waking up. It doesn't matter if I've been out for four hours or ten. It's a struggle. But I went about my business and got ready for work. I wore my current favorite dress , a recent arrival at the store. I was feeling pretty cute, if I do say so myself. I felt like Elle Woods. During my shift I had my fair share of weird/problematic customers, like the woman who handed me a receipt then said, "Oh whoops, that has blood on it." Like, real human blood you guys! A concerning amount of blood! I refused to complete the return. (Just kidding. I carried on as usual, just highly grossed out.) When I finally got off at 8, I hopped the L train to the gym. And when I got to Planet Fitness... it was closed. Why a gym would choose to be open 2